I am extremely proud of what Millbank Academy achieves for its children and families. We provide an unparalleled education, characterised by a first-rate curriculum, extensive enrichment programme and the rigour of high-quality teaching. This is coupled with a warm, supportive and personalised ethos, and high aspirations.
Millbank Academy is one of three primary schools sponsored by Future Academies, and has been judged ‘Outstanding’ by Ofsted in all areas.
Our academically rigorous, classical and knowledge-led curriculum inspires and our excellent teaching challenges, with the result that children develop into articulate, confident and courteous members of society while enjoying a vibrant and happy school life.
Mrs C. Jefferson, Headteacher
At Millbank Academy, we proudly differentiate from other primary schools in the following areas:
1. We believe in a model of subject-specific teaching at Key Stage 2: our teachers have a high-level degree in their area of expertise.
2. We do not teach to the test: our subject-specialist teachers have deep and broad knowledge about their discipline, and knowledge is prioritised for knowledge’s sake, rather than for use in an examination.
3. We believe in pitching lessons high so that our most able students are never bored, whilst supporting our less able students to make steady progress.
4. We have high expectations for all children, in behaviour and attainment: this results in outstanding progress.
5. We teach a traditional curriculum, with a focus on ‘depth through breadth’ and didactic teaching, where the teacher is the expert. Through our Curriculum Centre, we are able to give extensive thought to what students are learning, making use of cutting-edge educational research into cognitive science.
6. We teach our students the best that has been thought and said, giving them access to high-quality, classic texts, and lessons from subject experts. We do not, like many primaries, focus on Maths and English exclusively, but dedicate time to discrete subject teaching. Our students study Ancient History, British History, Latin and Geography in great depth, and this is reflected in the amount of lesson time dedicated to these subjects (KS2 students have five History lessons and two Latin lessons per week).
7. We believe that discrete subject teaching, with the inclusion of such traditional subjects as Latin and Ancient History, can be an emancipatory force, opening doors of opportunity to our students.
8. We focus on developing students’ vocabulary and grammar, not purely in their English lessons but in the delivery of all subjects.
We strive to give our students a rigorously academic education that puts them on a level playing field with their independently-educated peers. The educational experience that we provide to our students is on a par with anything offered by the private sector, but is accessible to all, regardless of background. Our aims are to broaden our students’ horizons, so that the students who leave us are well-rounded and at ease in any situation.
Millbank Academy, Erasmus Street London SW1P 4HR
Tel: 020 3262 0068